Saturday 27 April 2013

What a week....

I've had a brilliant week. The early part of the week on Sunday to Tuesday was blighted with my sinuses all blown up and me completely bunged up. On Tuesday I thought that the Wednesday's race was out of the question the following morning I woke up feeling much better and pretty clear.

I'd ridden into meetings in town on Monday which was pretty unpleasant. The wind was howling and feeling bunged up I struggled to breath properly. My legs didn't get going and seemed never to warm up. It was a struggle from start to finish. I blaming my sinuses but maybe my lack of bike time was more of an issue.

So I rocked up on Wednesday night unsure about the wisdom of my decision to take part. It was a 10 mile Time Trial race which means that the riders start every 60 seconds and you do the 10 miles as fast as you can. The race started in Freuchie and Iain Taylor met me early so we could drive the course and get an understanding of where to put the effort in. The race was brilliantly well organised and we signed in. Being new to this type of race I was given an early start time and went off number 3 out of the 48 competitors. Iain gave me some tips and then set off for his warm up.

I unloaded the bike, checked the bits and tyres and then set off up to the start. I didn't really know what to do and ended up heading up past the start and just pottering around on the road near the start. It was bizarre and I felt out of my comfort zone. I know what happens at the start of a marathon, ironman or triathlon but this was new. So I pulled into a picnic area and stretched out trying to work out how long it was going to take me to do the 10 miles - I decided that between 30 and 32 minutes would be a great result for me.

I made my way to the start and waited in line. The first few riders were off and it was my turn. I decided not to get held up and stood with one shoe on the ground to push myself off. I had imagined that if I had fallen over at the start I would look an idiot thus my push start.

Five, four, three, two, one and I was off. The first mile is free in that it's downhill and fast. I got down onto the tri bars and wound up the speed. There were marshals at the first two junctions but the third, a quiet one, was unmanned. I glanced up and a lorry started to pull out. I slammed on the brakes and was fortunate to squeeze round the back and missed the back of the beast by inches. It felt like inches and in reality was probably feet but it was scary and shook me big time. I took a few seconds to gather myself and pulled hard on the pedals to put the power back down.

I saw a rider in the distance, which proved to be hugely motivational and I put my head down until I slipped past him. The course was pretty flat and I was going ok - I knew that I could push harder but was concerned that I would blow up and fall apart. I stood up on the turns but otherwise managed to stay down on the bars for the balance of the race.

As I neared the end I saw the first rider and the motivation pushed me on to catch them and passed them about a mile before the end. I crossed the line the finishing in 26.02 which turned out to be 33rd out of the 48 racers. Iain did a 23.50 which was awesome. It was a great night and I think I'll be back to take part again. I took the picture of him just after the end of the race - looked ready for another one!

Today was the Kinross Sportive. I missed out on an entry but pedalled up to Kinross just in time to take a picture of the DCC train about to start. I then went over to Milnathort, Path O Condie and home via a few more hills. I did 90km, half an ironman but I felt the hills in my legs by the end. Sometimes you just take a look around and realise what a fantastic place we live. The weather was sunny, if cold, today and the countryside just outstanding. I was lucky that the wildlife came out to play and kept the hard miles interesting. It was just brilliant!

The DCC train finished with James Bell and Andy Bruce leading the charge in a time of 4.46 which again given the hills and 100 mile course is absolutely awesome. I've got so much respect for the DCC squad - they are just great cyclists. One day maybe.....

I've spent some time in the gym but not enough time in the pool. WIth my sinuses clear I'm hoping to get stuck in this week.



No comments:

Post a Comment