Tuesday 30 April 2013

Feeling almost Continental....

It's been a fab day almost European, in fact just about as good a day that Scotland can offer at this time of year. A group from the Dunfermline Cycling Club are mid way through an 8 day 100 mile per day training session. I know in advance of the report of today's ride it will have been a classic, climbing up through the Perthshire hills to Dunkeld and home - I would have enjoyed the route myself if it wasn't for that pesky work!

I was up at the usual early hour and took the Scruff bag out for a walk - it was cold but even at 6.30 you could feel the heat in the sun and it felt good. I dropped the dog back into the house and dragged on my bike kit, waved Danielle goodbye on her way into the office and set off up to Saline. I had decided that I would do the route of the Carnock Epic, our homespun time trial race, and immediately felt the sun burning on my back. It was wonderful.

When we were in Cape Town a few years ago I watched the runners and bikers out early training in the morning sun before the heat of the day built. I often wonder if Scotland had the same climate would more people be out running or biking before work making the most of the warm mornings - well maybe not but we can dream. The run through Saline to Forestmill was just brilliant although I could feel the start of what I guessed would be a stronger wind later in the day.

Forestmill is the site of one of life's enigma cafe's - every time I've been in there for a coffee I have felt deeply unwelcome and have been given the impression that I am most definitely not the sort of person they are encouraging to frequent the cafe. The coffee is ok, the cakes are good and for this reason plus my desire to check if it was just a bad day I sometimes go back. I think it might just be me but I don't think the owners are keen on Lycra clad bikers or maybe I just need a blue rinse to fit in with the regulars!

Anyway from Forestmill I ploughed on down towards the end of the cycle path about half way round the Epic course. It was at this moment I had a late change of plans and carried on to Clackmannan, up to Kincardine and then through Culross and home - 25 miles done before breakfast!

I had considered running last night but the wind drove me inside and I did a 30 minute interval set - not a huge amount of fun but added to my circuit session in the morning it made for a reasonable days work out.

Circuit session planned for the morning before a ride out lunch time as i'm marshalling at the TT race tomorrow night. I think the weather is set to get worse later in the week which will be pool time.

Off to meet the awesome Father Jack, to rock away the stress of the day! Hard to beat.

No comments:

Post a Comment