Sunday 28 April 2013

It's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas.....

I went out for a run today and to be honest was procrastinating about it as I didn't really feel like running today. But needs must so after gathering all of my technology, my heart rate monitor and iPhone I set off unsure of my route and how far I was going to run.

It was a pretty mixed bag weather wise with a gusty breeze from the west and the occasional wintry feeling shower. So as I set off I just went off in the direction I fancied and headed up the hill and over to Cairneyhill. I was breathing pretty heavily when I bumped into our wonderful neighbours, Les and Anna, out walking their dog and a few other folk from the village doing a sponsored charity cycle to raise money for the local summer Gala.

So realising there was going to be loads of bikes on the cycle path I carried on to Cairneyhill and then down to the coast. It was a bit more gusty down on the shore front and as I looked at my garmin to check speed and distance it run out of battery. One of my mates described me as having a wide frame that acted like a sail in the wind and it sure felt like that today running into the south westerly. With no watch to guide my speed I felt strangely released and ran without a care in my head. Well apart from my iPhone selecting Christmas songs. I had set it on shuffle but every other song it played had a Christmas scheme and after the 3rd or 4th song came on I was beginning to feel a lot like switching it off rather than Christmas!!!

The run through Newmills forest was pleasantly sheltered from the wind and the tracks full of older walkers with backpacks and benches with much tea being drunk from flasks. I was offed a cup of tea as I suspect I looked like I needed one!

As I emerged back onto the bike track I noticed a couple of runners about 300 metres up the track. Deep down, lurking under the non competitor I am there must be some sort of competitive spirit as I picked up my speed and went after them. I had about 2 miles left on the track and started making progress on the target. I noticed that the right hand runner started to turn round to check where I was and when I was within 20 metres he started pulling away from the girl he was running with obviously demonstrating that he felt he could run quicker without his running partner.
As I drew up along side, the female runner picked up her speed and ran along side. What was I to do? I picked up my speed and broke free and by this time I was moving along at a fair old lick! I started to question my decision to pass the couple as I didn't want the ignominy of being overtaken having passed them so I had to keep my pace up.

I suspect that miles 10 to 12 were the fastest that I ran in my entire run. As I turned off the track I looked behind and they were no-where in sight. They had probably stopped to have a good laugh at the old bloke pegging along trying to keep ahead of them!

So I think I did between 12 and 13 miles. It went ok - need to ramp the training up not only of I'm to do an ironman distance race this year but to keep up with the Stalleys who are running the Dublin marathon with me later in the year, 4 days after I turn 50!

No comments:

Post a Comment