Thursday 9 May 2013

It's been a long week!

Well it's Thursday already and I can't believe another week is almost done. One of the challenges of training for Ironman is combining the training with work and personal commitments. It's not easy! 

The band is preparing for the gig on Saturday night so I've been spending time getting ready for that in addition work is busy with a few tenders about to be sent out as well as cost plans needing done. So all up it was a struggle to fit everything in but here is a record of the week's training.....

I was up early in Sunday and felt great. The sun was shining and I set off over the hill to the bike track. I ditched the iPhone to get rid of the Christmas song shuffle feature and went back to my trusty iPod which is stuffed with new country! It's a bit embarrassing when you realise you're singing at the top of your voice about great girls look in trucks!!!! Anyway it was early so not many people about to complain. I went down the track to the junction that leads to Newmills and set off down the path. I love the views on the way to Culross. 

When I got to the coastal path I decided to head round the point past the salt mines and back to Newmills - I was feeling strong and followed the coast through Torryburn and then back up to Cairneyhill past Forester Park golf course and home via the Col du Carnock. A evil hill but after 14 miles it was torture! Anyway over 14 miles done and the whole day ahead.

On Monday I met my Adventure racing pal Neil and we jumped on the bikes for a few laps of Arthur's Seat. It's a great playground and was packed with runners, bike racers and Rat Racers. Not sure what event was on but there was signs of a race at Holyrood car park. The climb up the hill is fairly short and not that steep, apart from a few places but with the wind off the west it was tough enough. The intention was to wind up the speed and do faster laps each time. We managed it on all but one of the laps. 

After a good test we headed off to the pool to get some much needed time in the pool. The pool was busy enough but there were enough lanes to give everyone space. 

A huge scone added back all of the calories lost doing the biking and swimming.

Tuesday and today were run days with one circuit session thrown in and Wednesday was a rest day. Planning getting out on the bike in the morning but a busy weekend is likely to prevent any decent mileage on bike or foot.

My weight remains in the 13 stones which is good for me and with 24lb shifted so far I think it's helping both my running and biking. 

One of the other battles that you face is the fight with the mind. Sometimes motivation can drop and training can become a chore rather than a joy. Niggles that normally disappear seem to linger and bed seems a little more comfy than pulling on the Lycra again. This last week I've had to push myself to get out. The combination of lots to do at work and starting to build up the training hours is hard but I know every hour invested now will benefit me later so I keep going. I've also been unsure about what race to do but I'm still leaning to Amsterdam in September. We'll see! I'm sure my mojo will return in the next few days as when I'm busy working training seems to help clear my thinking and give me ideas that actually save me time when I sit back at the desk. The mind is a complex and strange place sometimes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment